Posted on November 28th, 2010
The easily visible symptom of vitiligo in children is depigmentation of parts of skin that occurs on the extremities. Although white spots or patches are small in the beginning, they often increase in size and keep on changing in shape.
In non-segmental vitiligo (NSV), you can see some form of symmetry in location of the patches where depigmentation occurs. New patches start appearing over time and can be generalized over large portions of the body or localized to a particular area. Vitiligo where little pigmented skin remains is referred to as vitiligo universalis. NSV can come about at any age, unlike segmental vitiligo,which is far more prevalent in teenage years.
From my collection illustration on : Vitiligo Symptoms In Children
Classes of Non-Segmental Vitiligo in Infants
- Generalized Vitiligo : the most common pattern, wide and randomly distributed areas of depigmentation
- Universal Vitiligo : depigmentation encompasses most of the body
- Focal Vitiligo : one or a few scattered macules in one area, most common in children
- Acrofacial Vitiligo : fingers and periorificial areas
- Mucosal Vitiligo: depigmentation of only the mucous membranes
Segmental Vitiligo Symptoms in Kids
- Segmental vitiligo (SV) different in appearance.
- Its treatment is different from that of Non-Segmental Vitiligo.
- Tends to affect areas of skin that are related to dorsal roots from the spine.
- It spreads much more rapidly than NSV and, without treatment.
Here is photo depiting : Symptoms Of Vitiligo In Children
Reference - Vitiligo at Wikipedia
References on Vitiligo Symptoms In Children
- Symptoms of Vitiligo in infants WrongDiagnosis.com – Symptoms of Vitiligo in infants including 6 medical symptoms and signs of Vitiligo in infants alternative diagnoses misdiagnosis and correct diagnosis
- Vitiligo Treatment Symptoms Causes Diagnosis and Signs on MedicineNet.com – Learn about the symptoms diagnosis research and treatment of vitiligo an incurable pigmentation disorder and autoimmune disease that causes white patches
- Prevention Of Vitiligo Vitiligo Children Symtom Prevention – Prevention Of Vitiligo
- Vitiligo Information Vitiligo Treatments Causes Symptoms – Vitiligo Facts plus the Latest News on Vitiligo Treatments HealthNewsflash
- Fast Facts about Vitiligo – Fast Facts about Vitiligo
- Symptoms of vitiligo – People who develop vitiligo usually first notice white patches on their skin. Vitiligo causes light or white patches on skin that are symmetrical.
Comments are closed.